Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Ye Old Sage

I have always wanted a mentor in my life. And old sage that has wisdom pumping through his veins like an oil refinery. Someone to listen to me, advise me, caution me. This desire brought me to my earliest memory of a mentoring relationship that I was in.

In 6th grade I was a mentor to a 3rd grader. Powerful I know. I volunteered in my class to walk alongside this little sprite and help with his addition skills, teach him the many lessons of elementary school, show him how to get into the fetal position when a bully comes around.

We met once or twice to count M&M's in a subtraction lesson, mainly because the only way to eat them is to teach subtraction or division, I division sucks. Sadly it soon became more of a pen pal relationship. Those wonderful days of me exuding 6th grade wisdom on this little ankle biter were gone and I was left to writing him lousy notes about the weather and homework. The mentor/mentee relationship struggled to hold its head above water. Before long I forgot about him even though I am sure he still thinks of me to this day.

Mentors need to be involved in your life. They need face to face interaction with your joy, pain, frustration. In an effort to learn subtraction again, if you know of anyone, I am looking for this person.

1 comment:

Michael Cook said...

Dude, I don't charge much - give me a call when you need advice.